JEN offers a variety of scholarships for full-time high school and college students. The current awards are listed below. Only one application is necessary to be considered for any of the awards applicable to a candidate’s qualifications. Scholarships will be presented during the annual JEN conference. JEN Member Students and JEN Member teachers of students are encouraged to click the appropriate tab to self-nominate or nominate a candidate for a particular scholarship. The committee will consider the student in all areas that are applicable.
Click at the bottom of this page where indicated to access the Student Scholarship Application.
- Application Forms and Criteria are available online until closed for the various scholarships and awards.
- Scholarships will be presented during the Annual JEN Conference at the JENeral Session(s).
- Deadline for application to all programs is October 15th. A reminder only ONE application is necessary to apply for any and all scholarships herein).
- Deadline for additional support materials is October 15th.
- Notification to recipients as applicable by November 1st.
Eligibility Criteria for Nominees:
- Outstanding high school or university students, ages 14 and UP, who in the opinion of his/her peers and instructors, displays an exceptional talent and potential in jazz performance and/or education or industry
- Demonstrates potential for growth, artistic accomplishments and leadership skills
- University students should demonstrate financial need related to college tuition and/or school related expenses
- High School students should use the scholarship award as tuition to attend either a summer jazz camp or college tuition and/or school related expenses
- Must participate in a jazz class or ensemble during the school year after the scholarship is granted
- Must volunteer at the Annual JEN Conference in the year of nomination (students age 18 and UP only)
(Please have all information needed prepared prior to submitting an application)
- Self-Nomination and/or recommendation by a current JEN member may be submitted online with required support materials as below
- Narrative describing how the nominee meets the eligibility criteria
- The nominee's address, phone number(s) and email address are required data
- Up to five letters of support and a short biography may be uploaded as a unit to the JEN website at a later date, including one support letter from your Jazz Program/Ensemble
The Scholarship Recipient must attend the JEN Conference. A complimentary conference pass will be given to the selected recipient as a conference Volunteer, a requirement to receive this award (See Eligibility Criteria above). Travel expense (if any) will be the responsibility of the recipient.
The David Baker Scholarship
Established 2010 by Jamey Aebersold to honor the contributions of the late NEA Jazz Master/Educator David Baker to recognize a university student who demonstrates talent, spirit, and commitment to the field of jazz studies. $3,000 annual award/1 year eJEN membership/Certificate
- 2017 - Crystal Rebone, University of Illinois School of Music
- 2016 - Chang Su - University of Northern Colorado, Greeley, CO
- 2015 - Tyler Lindsay, Loyola University, New Orleans, LA
- 2014 - Brian Claxton, University of Northern Colorado, Greeley, CO
- 2013 - Josh Roberts, Indiana University, Bloomington, IN
- 2012 - Alex Liu Macias & Jamaal Baptiste, Indiana University, Bloomington, IN
- 2011 - Daniel Lorrain, University of New Orleans, New Orleans, LA
- 2010 - Justin Young, University of Missouri-St. Louis, MO
The Hal Leonard Collegiate Scholarship
Established in 2011 in partnership with the Hal Leonard Corporation, a JEN Founding Corporate Partner . $1,000 annual award /1 year eJEN membership/Certificate in support to a deserving university student entering or continuing their collegiate jazz studies.
- 2017 - Tanner Guss, Indiana University, Bloomington, IN
- 2016 - Allison Philips, University of Amsterdam, Holland
- 2015 - Matt Rigger, Indiana University, Bloomington, IN
- 2014 - Gibran Khan, University of Northern Colorado , Greeley, CO
- 2013 - Kelly Garner, University of Miami, Coral Gables, FL
- 2012 - Kathleen Hollingsworth, University of Miami, COral Gables, FL
- 2011 - Billy Wolfe, DePaul University, Chicago, IL
The Mary Jo Papich JEN Co-Founder Women in Jazz Scholarship
Established and funded in 2010 by Mary Jo Papich to honor Women in Jazz at the university level. In August 2011, the JEN Board of Directors moved to fund this annual award in Mary Jo's honor from the JEN Education Fund, continuing in the amount of $1,000/1 year eJEN membership/Certificate
- 2017 - Amanda Ekery, New England Conservatory
- 2016 - Amaya Bickmore - Brigham Young University, UT
- 2015 - Kristin Sponcia, University of Illinois, Champagne-Urbana, IL
- 2014 - Alexa Tarantino, Eastman School of Music, NY
- 2013 - Caitlin Bryant, Grove City College, PA
- 2012 - Erika Matson, DePauw University, IN
- 2011 - Megan Tengel, University of New Orleans, LA
- 2010 - Kim Aubuchon, University of Missouri-St. Louis, MO
The Dr. Lou Fischer JEN Co-Founder Scholarship
Established in August 2011, to be awarded annually beginning in 2012. The JEN Board of Directors moved to fund this award to a high school student in Dr. Lou's honor from the JEN Education Fund, continuing in the amount of $1,000/1 year eJEN membership/Certificate
- 2017 - Gabi Basile, Brownell Talbot Prep, Omaha, NE
- 2016 - Tyler Webb, UT
- 2015 - Max Holm, Park City High School, Park City, UT
- 2014 - Christopher Parker, Bloomington High School North, Bloomington, IN
- 2013 - Laila Smith, San Jose, CA
- 2012 - Price McGuffey, Youth Performing Arts School, DuPont Manual High School, Louisville, KY
- 2012 - Jordan Egland Smith, Oldham County High School, Buckner, KY
The Mary Ann Fischer Scholarship Award
Established in January 2016 by Dr. Lou Fischer to honor the contributions of Mary Ann Fischer who has volunteered her spirit, talent, and continuous commitment to JEN since inception. $1,000 annual award /1 year eJEN membership/Certificate in support to a deserving high school student bassist entering their collegiate jazz studies the following year.
- 2017 - David Bredthauer, Brownell Talbot Prep, Omaha, NE
MusicFest CanadaJEN is a proud partner with MusicFest Canada in presenting a $500 scholarship annually to a deserving student participating in the scholarship program. A list of past recipients include:
Click here to learn more: MusicFest Canada Scholarship Program