JEN Board of Directors
Annual Timeline & Election Process
1) Begin review of the composition of the present board of director’s nomination grid – individually, professionally and collectively.
2) Determine needed skill sets to round out the present board including but not limited to:
- Fundraising & Development
- Strategic Planning
- Marketing/Public Relations
- Expertise and/or experience with nonprofit’s organizations
- Conference Production
- Membership Management
- Music education/curriculum (at all levels)
- Performing Artist
- Web Experience
3) Once the needed skills are determined, the Criteria for consideration are to be placed on the nomination application. Also see Board Member Service Goals.
- The Nominator must be a current voting eligible member in good standing
- The Nominee must be:
- a current voting eligible member in good standing
- Submit current bio and/or a resume along with a Statement of Purpose for joining the Board of Directors
- Commit to attending regularly scheduled board meetings and the annual conference
- Commit to participate in committee and/or project work throughout the year
1) Prepare announcement of nomination procedure for placement in print and online.
2) Prepare and distribute announcement via eBlast to membership
Place online for six weeks: February 15 through the deadline of March 31 (midnight EST) to receive nominations.
1) Continue nomination window
1) Nominating Committee contacts those that have been nominated and verifies whether they wish to be considered for the Board Nomination (contact could take place as the nominations for individuals are received)
2) Review all resumes and applications
3) Prepare slate for election from nominees list: deadline of March 25th
(This deadline will allow our Webmaster time needed to prepare the slate for publishing online)
1) Launch election slate online for one month, deadline of April 30th (midnight PST), or 30 days after date of launch, whichever is later.
2) Nominating Committee prepares Officer election slate from existing Board member candidates
1) Review tally of votes and announce the NEW Board members in July online
1) Board elects officers for term beginning July 1st
1) President or Executive Committee meets with NEW Board Members via conferencing call for orientation to Board materials and expectations of service
1) Ratify elected officers at Board Meetings or electronically beforehand