The Jazz Education Network 2010 Conference Committee welcomes you to the First Annual Conference at the University of Missouri - St. Louis, May 20-22. Check this page or the various drop down menus under the "2010 St. Louis Conference Information" button or on a link in the menu to the right of this paragraph to view detailed information for our conference. Click on any line/name highlighted in red below for more information, bios and/or photos.
We recommend you plan to arrive in St. Louis on Thursday, January 20 morning to attend the Open Board meeting at 10am. Concert/clinics from noon-5pm and the evening concert will prove to be spectacular. Friday & Saturday will be ALL DAY from 9am through about 1am!
COMPLETE SCHEDULE of St. LOUIS CONFERENCE You can download pdf files of the entire Conference GRID or document format of the Schedule of Events at the bottom of this page. Please note the GRIDS for each day require LEGAL size paper.
If you are a member and would like to register today, Click Here to purchase your conference registration. If you are not currently a JEN member, please Join Today and you can register for the conference as part of the same transaction.
Members that have already purchased a Registration for the Conference and would like to bring their Spouse/Partner with them, please click here to purchase their registration.
For individuals that are not JEN members, but would like to visit the 1st Annual Jazz Education Network Conference for one day, please purchase a One Day Pass by Clicking Here.
If you have already purchased your conference registration, we will see you in St. Louis!
The Jazz Education network is pleased to announce the Hilton Airport St. Louis as the official hotel for the 2010 Conference. Please be advised this hotel is now SOLD OUT! The link below will redirect you to the Sheraton Westport Chalet Hotel St. Louis . As part of this exciting partnership we are able to offer the same room rate of $74 per night, plus tax to our members.
Click Here to be redirected to the Sheraton Westport Chalet Hotel St. Louis website to make your room reservation. Deadline for this fantastic offer is March 31, 2010.
Hotel Shuttle Service to and from the airport is provided by the Sheraton Westport Chalet Hotel St. Louis . JEN will provide shuttle service to and from the University of Missouri-St. Louis for the conference. Those driving from shorter distances and staying at the Hilton will receive a 50% parking discount for the duration of the Conference at $5 per night. Parking at UMSL is free.
Keynote Speaker: David Baker
Congratulations to the following School Ensembles that have been selected for performance:
- Abraham Baldwin Agricultural College - Tifton, GA
- Austin Academy - Garland , TX
- Brubeck Institute - Stockton , CA
- The Capital Focus Jazz Band - Washington D.C.
- College of the Mainland - Texas City , TX
- Columbia College Chicago - Chicago , IL
- Ft. Zumwalt North High School - O'Fallon, MO
- Hannes Sigfridsson Trio - Stockholm, Sweden
- Hannibal High School - Hannibal, MO
- Jazz St. Louis All Stars - St. Louis , MO
- Johnston High School - Des Moines, IA
- Marshall University - Huntington , WV
- Milton Academy - Milton , MA
- Missouri 2010 All State Jazz Ensemble
- Metropolitan Area Youth Jazz Orchestra - Omaha , NE
- Niles North High School TAKE ONE Jazz Choir - Skokie , IL
- Sperreng Middle School Jazz Band - St. Louis, MO
- St. Charles North High School - St. Charles, IL
- Tinley Park High School - Tinley Park , IL
- University of Alabama Jazz Ensemble - Tuscaloosa , AL
- University of California Los Angeles - Canyon Country, CA
- University of Northern Iowa - Cedar Falls , IA
- University of Missouri-St. Louis - St. Louis , MO
- University of West Georgia - Carrollton , GA
- Webster Groves High School - St. Louis , MO
We are very pleased to announce the Professional performers and ensembles that will appear at the Inaugural Conference:
Education is one of the three primary missions of the Jazz Education Network and we were fortunate to receive a significant number of clinic applications. The process of selecting individuals to present was a very difficult one and we would like to thank all of those who applied.
- Jamey Aebersold - Anyone Can Improvise
- Ariel Alexander - Where are the Girls?
- Frank Alkyer - DOWNBEAT Blindfold Test featuring the evolving bassist Rufus Reid
- Carol Argiro, Christy Farnbauch - New Knowledge for Engaging Jazz Audiences
- Gary Armstrong (moderator), Terri Pontremoli, Jon Poses, Dawn DeBlaze - Marketing Jazz Programming in the 21st Century
- Pete Barenbregge - Big Band Rehearsal Techniques
- Gail Boyd (moderator), Karen Kennedy, Orbert Davis - Management for the Self Managed and Emerging Artist
- Sharon Burch, Sherry Luchette - Jazz for kids, Easy and Fun! Infusing jazz into elementary music
- Ndugu Chancler - Finding the Time: Swing to Salsa!
- Gerald Clayton, Stefon Harris, D.J. Trentino - The Evolution of Jazz Music in the 21st Century
- Tim Davies - Breaking the Mold: Taking your Big Band Writing to the next level
- J.B. Dyas - Tune Learning: A Systematic Method for Memorizing and Retaining the Essential Jazz Repertoire
- Dave Fodor - JEN Student Composition Forum
- Antonio Garcia - Transcribing Jazz Solos Without Pitches
- Mark Gridley - Teaching Jazz History and Appreciation: A Listening Skills Approach
- Stefon Harris - Composition: The Art of Melodic Progression and Reharmonization
- Christian Howes - The Classical String Player: Making the Leap to Jazz Improvisation
- Cheryl Hughey - The Future of Online Media Technology in Jazz
- Lisa Kelly, JB Scott - Singing Jazz: How do you Begin to Learn Your Craft?
- Robert Klevan - Listening 101: Get your students to listen to jazz
- John Kuzmich Jr.- Digital Magic: Seamlessly From 'Live' Recording to Web Posting in Minutes
- Larry Lapin - Arranging for the Jazz Vocal Ensemble
- Mark Levine - Drop 2 for Pianists and Arrangers
- Victor Lopez - Latin Rhythms: Mystery Unraveled (A Practical Approach Introducing Latin Rhythms to the Jazz Ensemble)
- Sherry Luchette - Hands On Activities In Jazz for K-8 Students
- Bob Mintzer - The Saxophonist in the Rhythm Section
- Allan Molnar, Stewart Smith - The ALIVE Project: Jazz Education via Distance Learning
- Michael Philip Mossman - Get Your Groove On: Latin Rhythm Section Intensive
- Rufus Reid - Who's Minding the Store!
- Fran Morris Rosman - An Afternoon with Ella Fitzgerald
- Dave Robinson - Traditional Jazz: It's Not Just for Breakfast Anymore! featuring the Capital Focus Jazz Band
- Paris Rutherford (moderator),Victor Goines, John Clayton, David Baker, Terell Stafford - Achieving Success in your College Interview
- Judy Shafer - Roundtable:Open Discussion on K-8
- Dean Sorenson - Jazz Improvisation One Step at a Time
- Andrew Surmani (moderator), Marina Terteryan, D.J. Trentino, Erika Floreska - Artists, Teachers, Students and Fans: Develop and Connect to Your Jazz Audience through Social Media
- Mike Tomaro - Instrumental Big Band Reading Session featuring the Army Blues
- Mike Vax - Care and Feeding of the Trumpet Section
- Richard Victor - ADVOCACY IN ACTION: Tips for EFFECTIVE advocacy!
- Michelle Weir - JAZZ CHOIR: Effective Rehearsal to Stellar Performance
Industry Exhibit: 4,000+ square feet
Selected list of exhibitors:
- Advance Music
- Aebersold Jazz
- African American Jazz Caucus
- A.F. of M. Local 802
- Alfred Music Publishing
- American Classic Tours & Music Festivals
- Army Recruiting/National Conventions
- Band Instrument Service Company
- Berklee College of Music
- Buffet Crampon
- Capital University
- Columbia College Chicago
- Cultural Tour Consultants
- DANSR Inc
- Downbeat Magazine/Maher Publications
- ejazzlines.com/Jazz Lines Publications
- E.K. Blessing/Powell Flutes/Sonare Winds
- EM-BEE ideas
- The Global Gurus
- Hal Leonard Music Publishing, Inc.
- Jazz at Lincoln Center
- Jazz St. Louis
- Jazz Styles & Concise Guide to Jazz/Mark Gridley
- Jazz Times Magazine
- Jupiter Band Instruments
- Kendor Music Publishing, Inc.
- The Dana Legg Stage Band
- Mozingo Music
- Music For All/Bands of America
- Myriad Limited
- Penders Music Company
- Philomuse, Inc.
- Piano Distributors of St. Louis
- Preferred Artists
- Progressive Winds
- School Music USA
- Shattinger Music
- Sher Music Company
- Stanton's Sheet Music
- Super Sensitive Strings
- Symphony Publishing, Inc.
- Tenor Madness
- Thelonius Monk Institute of Jazz
- University of Miami
- University of Missouri-St. Louis
- University of Southern California/Thornton School of Music
- Virgil Films & Entertainment
- Visual Jazz Publications
- Warburton Musical Products
- Yamaha Corporation of America
Meet Me in St. Louis Celebration! $45 (ticket purchase required)
Join us on Friday evening just prior to the evening concert from 5:30-7:30pm for a Taste of St. Louis Cuisine complete with local wines and brews. Music will be provided by the Jazz St. Louis All Stars! See Conference Central buttons for Details!
We look forward to seeing you in St. Louis next May! Don't wait, register now to be a part of jazz history!